ORIGINS OF OPAL ENGAGEMENT RINGS
What is Opal?
The story behind all opal engagement rings begins 100 million years ago in central Australia which was covered with water. This beautiful gemstone contains up to 10% water, as remains of the sea it originated from. Opal is made from silicon and water. The word ‘opal’ comes from the Greek word “opallos”, meaning “to see changes of color”.
There are several kinds of opal gemstones:
- Precious opal, which brings a full spectrum of rainbow colors
- Semiprecious opal is also beautiful, but not as shiny. It is suitable for jewelry making.
- Crystal opal is transparent-translucent and all it’s color layers are visible to a naked eye.
- Pearl opal has a very distinctive milky color which diffuses into various hues, depending on the angle.
- Fire opal may be yellow, orange, even bright red.
- Black opal is by far the most valuable and appreciated. Its base is black, dark blue or dark grey, and it displays a broad spectrum of various colors .
A HINT OF HISTORY
The Crown of the Holy Roman Emperor was decorated by an Orphanus Opal stone and legend says that although white as snow, it shimmered in all colors of red wine. This stone was looked upon as a guardian of the emperor’s honor.
The ancient Romans thought of opal stones as signs of love and hope. Oriental nations called it “the anchor of hope”.
- Opal Brings Love to the Faithful Ones
Throughout history Opal never stopped to amaze with its unique sparkling array of color. Opal is considered to be as “beautiful as sin” and it’s believed to bring love to faithful owners.
- The Burning of Troy
The old Greeks believed one who carries opal can foresee his future.
The Burning of Troy, named upon the old Greek legend, was a beautiful black opal stone with hint of green and red fire burning inside of it. It is probably one of the most famous pieces of jewelry because it was given to Josephine by Napoleon, as a sign of his eternal love. Today, opal can also be found among French Crown Jewels. Queen of Egypt, Cleopatra, allegedly wore opal in order to attract Marc Anthony. In the Middle Ages, people believed that opal protected them from infections, bad influences and that its colors pointed out to the owner’s good or bad health. In 18th century it fell out of fashion, until Queen Victoria started wearing it.
DECIDING WHAT TO BUY?
If you are a history fan, a person looking for a deeper meaning of a precious stone you are going to give to your loved one, then you should definitely go for opal. Diamonds may be girl’ s best friend, but opal is so original, authentic and uncommon that it will leave her breathless. Not to mention that it is much more affordable.
Opal engagement rings are not only a great alternative to diamond rings; they are really astonishing pieces of jewelry. Opal does not have to be multi-faceted like diamond, nature already made them as perfect as they can be.
WHAT IS GOOD TO KNOW WHEN BUYING OPAL ENGAGEMENT RINGS
- Always pick a bezel setting, it is necessary to protect the gem from damage and to secure it in place. Setting needs to be valuable, and in a color which goes well with opal color.
- Not all opals have same wearing-resistance, black, white and crystal opals are suitable for rings, but a boulder opal seems to be the ideal choice for an engagement ring due to its robust nature and beautiful original shapes.
- Always pick stones with convex cut top, smooth domed and polished, because it would be less prone to impact damage.
- The cost of opal engagement rings may wary depending on opal size, color and bezel setting.
- Genuine opal goes well with both yellow and white gold.
- The best opal engagement rings are those with greatest display of colors.
WHAT IS A BOULDER OPAL?
Boulder (Australian) opals are considered to be second most appreciated opal variation. Boulder opal stones display beautiful color games due to brow ironstone layer at the back of the stone. The most appreciated opals are black and fire.
TIPS WHEN BUYING OPAL ENGAGEMENT RINGS
- First of all, be cautious where you plan to purchase the ring, many fake (lab created) gems are sold nowadays.
- If it is cheap, it is not real (you cannot buy natural stone for $100).
- Establish authenticity (reputable jewelers will provide you with a certificate of authenticity, together with a photograph of the stone and its detailed analysis). This is essential for insurance purposes, or in case your ring gets stolen..
- Check twice and be sure you are getting adequate value for the price you are paying.
- If you are buying an opal engagement ring online, be sure to get money back guarantee and secure card processing for payment online.
The best jewelers that we have found for opal engagement rings are Zales.com. They are authentic, very reputable and their prices are a steal!
HOW TO CARE FOR OPAL ENGAGEMENT RINGS?
Opal engagement rings are not indestructible like diamonds, they are bit softer than ruby engagement rings and from time to time should be gently washed in mild water without chemical’s. You have to treat it with care and respect.
Opal is prone to cracking from drying caused by extensive heat and from sudden changes in temperature. Opal engagement rings are delicate and should be taken care of But do not worry, opal is as hard as jade and amethyst and it ranks five or six on scale of mineral hardness, whereas diamonds rank at 10.
WHEN TO BUY OPAL ENGAGEMENT RINGS?
An Opal’s energy is amplified in October and November so now is the perfect time to choose one for your loved one.
If you decided to propose to your loved one with a gorgeous, antique looking opal engagement ring, you would cherish her unusual nature, sensibility and elegance.
Not everyone can wear an opal. Opal is sensual and gentle, just like your fiancé.
If you a looking for a more vibrant ring to represent your partner then check out rose gold engagement rings